I’ve given up on 2D printers. 3D is the future!
Every single paper printer I have ever owned has been a constant source of pain and expense [example]. My experience with 3D printers thus far has been slightly better, but a magnitude cooler. The payoff for designing and printing your own real thing out of plastic is a real joy. That’s why some people call me obsessed with these 3D printers, and also why I feel the need to share!
Learn to print in 3D! We are running our SketchUp class again with 2 new dates: 4/17 and 5/1. Both Sundays and both from 10am – 3pm. [avoiding religion jokes here] These dates are separate; it’s not a 2-part class.
You will learn:
- How to make simple stuff in SketchUp
- How not to ruin a model by poking holes in it, what “manifold” means.
- The basic process of FDM 3D printing
- The limitations of the Makerbot and the RepRap
And most importantly, you get to print and take home a thing!
- Sunday, April 17th or May 1st from 10am to 3pm
- Bring a lunch, or chip in for pizza
- Tickets are $25
- You don’t need to stay for the whole thing
- Laptop with SketchUp installed.
It’s available for Win and Mac and runs well under Wine for Linux
We will have a limited supply of laptops for those poor souls without them.
- This STL export plugin
- Optional STL viewers: MeshLab, NetFabb, or Pleasant3D (mac)
- Maybe some sketches of something to model. Remember: K.I.S.S.
Sound like fun?